SKIP TO MAIN MENU SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT
Board
  • Home
  • News & Info
  • Board

This bulletin board is a space for posting memories in Gangdong-gu or for making suggestions. Postings that contain obscene language, violence, slander, commercial materials or election-related content may be deleted without prior notice. We appreciate your cooperation in creating a sound and pleasant environment.

Writer Choi Junho
Phone number 010********
Email 2**********************
Subject Go to the Youth Master's Dream,"Angel Workshop" in Gangdong-gu

Angel Workshop Street in Seongnae-dong, Gangdong-gu, Seoul at the end of last month. Only five years ago, it was a "escape zone" due to the concentration of mutant businesses that registered as regular restaurants and ran entertainment bars, but now it was easy to see families walking through the streets holding hands with their children. The main drivers of the change are 25 workshops run by young people. They revitalized the neighborhood by dealing with crafts using various materials such as leather, metal, and wood, as well as desserts, ceramics, horticulture, and dog products. Kim Hyun-joo, a local resident with elementary school children, said, "There are many places to visit with my child, including the Seongnae Library," and added, "I purposely went back to the main street because I was reluctant to do anything." However, as the streets are activated, we are now intentionally passing through the area. The policies of front-line local governments to create youth jobs and create specialized streets to revive local businesses are creating synergy effects. Since 2016, Gangdong-gu District Office has been working on a project to create Angel Workshop Street to help young people under the age of 39 move into the place. The district provides full deposit, 50% rent, basic interior facilities, and promotional support to young businessmen who move in for two years, and the support contract can be extended once. In this way, Gangdong-gu has operated 25 workshops and fostered 35 young businessmen by this month. An official from Gangdong-gu Office said, "The number of variant businesses, which were 36 in April 2016, has decreased to nine as of this month," adding, "We plan to add three stores by the end of this year due to the high satisfaction of residents." The effect is growing as Gangdong-gu opened the Angel Workshop Hub Center last year with a budget of about 7.8 billion won. The district purchased a place where six variant businesses were concentrated and opened the center with a total floor area of 796.4㎡. Young shop owners also expressed satisfaction with the project. Kang Dan-ah, CEO of Reniflori, who entered the store in November 2019, said, "I was able to check the announcement frequently for three months because I felt the first Angel Workshop coming in and the distance changed."